F.A.C.T. is the lead agency for People First, an adult self-advocacy and self-help organization run by and for adults 18 years and older who have developmental disabilities. People First teaches, mentors, coaches, guides, and prepares adults to advocate for change in their community and in state and federal laws.
People First of Missouri
People First of Missouri is a statewide organization formed by, run by and which exists for persons with developmental disabilities. Currently there are over 40 chapters across the state of Missouri with approximately 1,000 members.
The mission of People First of Missouri is to provide self-advocacy training, increase quality of life and protect equal rights for people with developmental disabilities in Missouri
Why is Self-Advocacy important?
- Adults with disabilities are often treated like children.
- We aren’t given the chance to be a part of the decisions made about our own lives.
- Those helping us, sometimes hide our rights from us.
- We become labels, instead of the person we are.
- We aren’t given the chance to live in the community.
What does People First of Missouri do?
- Educate self-advocates about the different choices and options for work, home and recreation.
- Present at local, state, national and international conferences.
- Train self-advocates to serve on boards and represent other individuals with disabilities.
- Learn about our rights and the responsibilities.
For more information please contact Susan Newton at 636.949.2425 ext. 266 or email@example.com
- People First Brochure
Adobe PDF | 84KB